Monday, July 13, 2009

The Ladies Auxiliary, Tova Mirvis: 4 Stars

So, I loved the writing style of this book. It really was quite refreshing, and the story itself was interesting. I grew slightly tired of the food descriptions, but I also understand that much of the Orthodox Jewish religion deals with restrictions on foods and appropriate eating. Many of the insights into this community were very beautifully described and made me feel a bond with this community in how their religion helps to define them. It gave me a renewed feeling of calm and peace about my own beliefs in that we're all just trying to be better people in our own way.

Sometimes my views about things make me feel like I might not be living my religion in the "right" way, but it's all I know how to do or be. I like the invigorated rejuvenation that the book brings to light and think it's nice to have this type of injection into our system every couple of years. I like how religion isn't portrayed as stale and constrictive, and I am constantly amazed at how, living in such a free land, we can sometimes be made to feel silly for the things that help shape who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment